Friday, February 24, 2012

Q & A with Beauty Expert Sandy Gold


Sandy Gold

Although I wrote about stepping up my makeup game all of a few days ago (read previous post!), I'm still a novice when it comes to makeup application.  Instead of suffering in silence, I decided to contact Sandy Gold, a well known Beauty Expert for her expertise on all things makeup.

I was excited to interview Sandy as I’ve seen her how-to videos, visited her beauty blog happiface and watched her on a couple of TV shows (Styleography, Rags to Red Carpet).  I was able to ask her a few questions on how she got into the biz, and what the hot new colours are for Spring 2012.  Enjoy!

How did you learn to apply makeup?
I studied art in high school – so I’ve always looked at the face as a really beautiful 3D canvas.  

How did you break into the beauty biz?
A really exciting moment and a turning point for me was  back in 2007 when some of my how-to makeup videos on YouTube were featured in a segment on Good Morning America and in an article in the New York Times. 

What do you like most about being a Beauty Expert?
I get to meet inspiring women everyday and help them feel confident and beautiful.  How great is that!

What beauty product should a woman always apply before leaving the house?
Mascara—can’t leave home without it  J

What is the biggest makeup faux pas that you would like women to stop doing right now?
Dark lip liner with a light lipstick. I used to do this when I was in high school and it wasn’t a good look ; )

I love visiting your website and your YouTube channel.  I was wondering, do you offer any hands on workshops?
Thank you very much J  Yes, I am currently working on an “Everyday Makeup” class/workshop for April—so stay tuned to happiface.com and Twitter (@SANDYGOLD25) for more information regarding classes, coming soon!

What are the new colours for Spring 2012?
Some of my favourite shades for spring are:

                                   


NAILS
Dior Nail Lacquer in: Water lily (soft green)
L’Oreal Color Riche nail colour in: Tangerine Crush

LIPSTICK
Bobbi Brown neons and nudes collection in: Atomic Orange & Neon Pink

BLUSH
Stila convertible colour in: Gladiola (peachy, orange) & Fuschia

EYES
L’Oreal La Couleur Infallible Eye Shadow in: Sweet Strawberry
Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24hr cream gel shadow in: Tenacious Teal

* Bonus: Makeup tip

I’m still trying to master the Cat Eye eyeliner look, but I always end up looking like I have a black eye!  What are some quick and simple tips to help me achieve this look?
Yes, Cat Eye’s can be a bit tricky. Start by drawing a line first using a white eyeliner pencil (it acts like a stencil) – then once you’re happy with the way it looks, go over it with your black eyeliner.

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions, Sandy! 

Michelle

No comments: