Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Single Review



Rihanna- Russian Roulette


No one is looking forward to Rihanna’s return to the game as much as I am. Yes, y’all, I am fully aware that the girl isn’t the greatest singer, but at least she releases fun songs that burn up the dance floor. C’mon, admit it, you know that you still know all the words to Umbrella and her hook for Live Your Life!

Just a few days ago I was fortunate enough to hear Russian Roulette—the first single off her latest cd, Rated R. I read in the blogosphere that her album was going to show a different side of Rihanna and expose a more emotional side.


So, I heard the track ....and.......it was okay, nothing spectacular (just like the Run this Town single...I hope I am not sensing a trend for her!). The song is slooooooow and comes across a tad morose and kinda gloomy.


Sample line,
“Take a breath, take it deep
Calm yourself, he says to me
If you play, you play for keeps
Take a gun, and count to three
I’m sweating now, moving slow
No time to think, my turn to go


Some are speculating that the song is about suicide, but I am not taking any of the lyrics literally. Considering the title of the song is Russian Roulette, I’m sure it’s just a metaphor for something else. i.e love, relationships....perhaps her time with Chris Brown...etc.


I’m just upset that she released a slow song rather than something I could dance to. Most artists who’ve been out of the limelight for a while release an up-tempo song to satisfy their fans and get a buzz going (Beyonce did that with Single Ladies and Mariah released Obsessed).


The song is definitely not one of her finest. It’s a little boring and something I can't get into. Hopefully she will shine on her next single. Sorry Rhi Rhi, but this song gets a 2.5/5


-Michelle

No comments: