Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Are tattoos still sexy?



When I was younger I really wanted a tattoo. It wasn’t that I was a rebellious child and wanted to show my distaste for authority by getting inked; I just thought that tattoos were kinda cool. OK, I will admit it, I was a huge goody goody, and I guess I kinda wanted to shed my good girl image with a harmless tat.


I toyed with the idea of getting a bull (my astrological sign) on my shoulder, a ring tattoo on my finger, and something written in Japanese on any part of my body. But when it came time to get one, I chickened out. Instead, I bought a bunch of temporary tattoos and pasted them all over my body.


That was over 10 years ago.


I have—believe it or not—grown up and matured and my fascination with tattoos has practically dwindled. I don’t hate them, but being the fickle woman that I am, I could not possible come up with one solitary thing that I would like to brand myself with for the rest of my life. A guy that I casually dated practically begged me to tattoo his nickname on my body. Suffice it to say, that relationship didn’t work out and thankfully, I wasn’t left with a crappy reminder of him!


Now that the weather is getting warmer and everyone is showing some skin, I’m noticing that everyone has a tattoo! No, I’m not thinking of getting one again (okay, that’s a lie. I’m kinda digging Rihanna’s star tattoos). It’s just that since there’s such a proliferation of tattooed people out there, I started to wonder....are tattoos still sexy?


Gone are the days when tattoos were proudly displayed on forearms, shoulders, legs, and lower backs. Tattoos have travelled everywhere on the body. Some people have ink on their face, neck, ears and in places I could not imagine a needle going!


To be honest, I think tattoos can be a little sexy if it’s not overly done. A tattoo on man’s arm that shows off his bulging biceps is quite sexy. But a man covered in head-to-toe tats is just plain frightening!


My biggest gripe is the with face tattoo. Why would anyone go through the trouble of getting something permanently branded to their face? It’s not attractive and it’s quite odd. It’s safe to assume that it’s impossible to name anyone with a face tattoo that looks good. Even that girl in Belgium is suing the tattoo artist for over tattooing her face.

For those considering a face tattoo......just don’t do it!
Michelle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've had the thoughts of having a tattoo, the design picked out and the size, which decreases in size every year. Now over twenty years later, the fade of the tattoo has exploded to an enormous degree. So much so that teens without thinking it through, are branding themselves and regretting the "forever" design.So sad. They should fiddle around with Mehndi, which is intricate but also temporary and if you grow tired or want to change it, it disappears within weeks.
These options are out there,so i think they should be used. As i have used this through the years, I like the idea of changing the design. Try it some time. Oh, and you're not going to break the bank.