Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My hair routine for winter



picture taken from talkingpretty.com



I love being a naturalista.  But in order to keep my locks looking lovely, I have to take care of it.



Last summer was the first time that I wore my hair naturally for an extended period of time (read: without extensions).  Like all girls new to natural styling, I had to learn how to style my hair and come up with a regimen that worked for me.  The results were great (okay, not all the time.  Sometimes my hair looked like a hot mess!)  But on the days that it looked amazing, I couldn’t help but flaunt my afro all over Toronto! 



However, anyone who chooses to wear their hair unprocessed knows that the harsh, nippy winter weather robs our hair of moisture and natural hair NEEDS moisture.  The best way for me to avoid having brittle, dry coils, is to wear my hair in a protective style. 



* Protective Style (noun or verb): it's any hairstyle that when created, shields the hair from a variety of elements and harmful situations. This includes extreme weather, both hot and cold, to prevent the hair from drying out, as well as stress caused to the hair follicles from daily styling and manipulation. 



The protective style  that I chose was the two strand twist with extensions (pssst...my trusty old look).  Before I had the extensions put in, I lovingly pampered my tresses.  Here’s my routine.



Step 1

I detangle my hair using Suave naturals Tropical coconut conditioner. I divide my hair into about 6-8 sections and lightly mist each section with water.  I slather my hair with conditioner and comb through my hair until it’s completely detangled.



Step 2

I rinse out the conditioner, and apply a mild shampoo. I actually don’t have a fave, but I am using Organix Renewing Moroccan Argan oil. It’s mild and the scent is nice.



Step 3

Rinse out the shampoo and I deep condition my hair.  I’ve gone through all types of conditioner- inexpensive – expensive. To me, they all work the same. I’ve used HerbalEssence Hello Hydration with olive oil, and I am currently using Avalon Organics Revitalizing Conditioner which feels great.



I keep the conditioner in for about 30 minutes, and then rinse out.



Step 4

I lightly towel dry my hair, twist it into sections and let it air dry. At times I blow dry (which some believe is a no no).  I started using a heat protectant when I apply heat to my hair.



Step 5

I moisturize my hair. I start with my leave in- Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner. Work in some coconut oil, and then add a creamy moisturizer. I use Shea Moisture Organic Coconut &Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie.



After all of that, my hair is ready for my protective style



After I’ve worn the protective style for a month or longer,  I take out the extensions, deep cleanse my hair (steps 1-5) , and wear it naturally for 1-2 weeks.  After that, the process begins again!



What’s your hair routine for winter?







* Definition taken from Naptural85.com




Michelle

No comments: