Sunday, June 12, 2011

Song of the Moment- Rihanna: Man Down

I’m sure you heard about the controversy surrounding Rihanna’s latest single, Man Down (psst...there’s a “graphic/violent” scene in the accompanying video that has some Parental groups concerned). And since I’m nosey and love to know what everyone’s talking about, I had to watch the video.



So, early last week I sat down in front of my laptop and watched all 5 minutes and 40 seconds of the movie-like video. But instead of looking out for the “graphic content”, I started to sway in my chair. I thought to myself, “Forget the video, “I freaking love this song!” Seriously, it took me all about 5 seconds before I embraced my inner dancehall queen and started to shake my booty in the privacy of my room!


I love that Rihanna cleverly injects her fiery Caribbean swagger in Man Down, rather than putting out yet another pop song. Good call, Rihanna!


The reggae vibe lends a layer of sultriness and spice, but the grim lyrics create a serious tone to the single. Rihanna speaks (it’s not necessarily an autobiographic tale - it could be a story from any female) about being assaulted and then taking matters into her own hands (she guns down her attacker on a crowded street).


Although the single tackles powerful subject matter, it is still a very fun, party song. The mellow reggae rhythm lessens the severity of the song and allows you to enjoy the song. If nothing else, the l hypnotic lyrics “Rum pum pum pum rum pum pum pum rum pum pum pum, Man Down, Rum pum pum pum rum pum pum pum rum pum pum pum Man Down” have me singing the song all.the.time. This song will be the song of the summer. Trust me!


Thoughts about the video

I did see the scene that has caused concern, but it didn’t seem gratuitous to me. It wasn’t included for shock value—there was some reasoning behind her actions.


In the video Rihanna’s character goes to a reggae club, dances with a guy, she leaves, he follows, and he assaults her. Feeling angry and wanting to retaliate, she gets her gun and shoots him on a crowded street.


Yes, it is extreme, and I in nooo way condone violence, but this is how she chose to tell the story. The lyrics express sorrow for what she’s done


“I didn't mean to end his life


I know it wasn't right


I can't even sleep at night


Can't get it off my mind”


and does not glorify what has happened. Just like in countless movies, the victim takes matters in their own hands. This video is no different from any average avenge type movie.


Overall, I think the video is well done, and is complements the song perfectly. Good job, Rihanna!  What do you think about the video and the song? 


Michelle

No comments: