Monday, September 16, 2013

App of the month: WhatsApp




 A friend of mine told me about the WhatsApp app at least a year ago, but I dismissed it as I didn’t think I needed it. Using my text app on my iPhone worked perfectly fine, so I wasn’t too interested.



Then, about 4 months ago my cell phone provider sent me a letter stating that texting to phone numbers outside of Canada would no longer be free. A 15 cent charge would now be instituted per international text. WTF!!!



Not that it’s an exorbitant amount, but when you are used to a service that is free –any charge, nominal or not, is cause for an uprising!



But instead of fighting the new charges or leaving my cell phone company, I decided to download the app- WhatsApp.



WhatsApp is a free app that allows you to send local or international texts to anyone you want, wherever they happen to be in the world.  Yes, there are NO international charges!



You can text anyone on your contact list (the app imports your contacts) – just keep in mind that the recipient must have the app as well.



This is now my go-to app to keep up with family and friends not residing in Canada.  #ghettofab



Do you have this app? What do you think about it?

Michelle

No comments: