Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My fave new artist: Jazmine Sullivan


I really need to thank my brother for downloading Jazmine Sullivan’s single, Need U Bad, a few weeks ago. I unexpectedly came across the song when I was listening to my iPod. I heard it again when I watched the Top 10 countdown on 106 and Park. There was something about this track that stayed in my head.
I love how Jazmine has brilliantly captured the passion and desire that you feel when you’re totally in love with someone and the hurt and disappointment that you feel when you know that you've hurt them.
On this track Jazmine blends reggae and R&B to create a steamy, sexy, summer single. Not only have I been playing this song 24/7 since hearing it, I’ve become her latest fan.
On a pretty boring morning at work, I decided to send an e-mail to Jazmine’s people requesting an interview. I will be honest; I sent the e-mail on a whim. I wanted to see if anyone would respond. Shockingly, I received an e-mail in my inbox a few short hours later. I was told that Jazmine would love to be interviewed for happygrrls.com. After jumping up and down and trying REALLY hard to compose myself, I replied and said that I would be free to conduct the interview later that afternoon. How lucky am I?
I ran home, created a list of questions and patiently waited for the call.
Here’s a snippet of our short but sweet interview! Enjoy!
Did you always want to be a singer?
Yes, I always knew. It’s what I feel I was supposed to do. I started singing in church when I was five, but I took it seriously by age 12. I decided that I wanted to be an R&B artist. My parents were very supportive of me.
How does it feel to have a hit song?
It feels great!!! I put my heart and soul into it. I’m very proud of the record. It’s very different from anything on the radio.
How did you come up with the reggae vibe for the single?
Missy presented the track to me. I’ve never sung over a reggae beat before, but it felt right. It definitely catches people’s ears.
How did you get Pepa to be a part of the song?
She is a friend of Missy and she was chillin’ in the studio. Pepa is Jamaican… so it just worked for the song.
How would you describe your album?
It’s colourful. No single song sounds like the next. There is something on the album for everybody!
Who are your fave artists?
Mary J. Blige, Keyshia Cole, Beyoncé
Who would you like to work with?
Mary. J Blige, Andre 3000, Coldplay, Maroon 5. I love jazz, R&B, reggae… I want to work with people you wouldn’t expect. I’m a fan of music.
Do you have plans to do some shows in Toronto?
I don’t have anything planned as of yet, but I would love to come!

So that was just a taste of what Jazmine is all about. Check out her video if you're still craving more!
until the next entry,

Michelle

No comments: