Thursday, January 20, 2011

Ask Michelle

Have some issues that you want to get resolved in 2011? E-mail me at michelle at happygrrls.com and I will try to include it in the next instalment of Ask Michelle



Dear Michelle,
I have a little problem. I used to be friends with my best friend’s sister, but we have become less close over the years. Nothing major happened, we just grew apart. Ironically, my best friend and I have become great friends during this time.


My problem with my besties’ sis is that even though we don’t have a great friendship anymore, she randomly calls me up when she needs help. Sometimes it’s for a ride to the mall; if she needs some help with homework, and believe it or not, if she needs a reference for a job!


At first I didn’t think much of it because she’s still kinda my friend, but the fact that she calls me out of the blue only when she needs something is starting to really piss me off!






She’ll call me, and then I won’t hear from her for at least 3 months. I don’t want to sound rude, but we’re not even good friends anymore and I don’t like that she calls and texts me when she needs help. How do I tell her to leave me alone? What should I do?


Signed, I don’t like users!


Dear I don’t like users!
I totally agree with you. I don’t like it when someone talks to you only when they need something from you. That’s not how a friendship works.


Your situation is a little complicated, though. On one hand you don’t want to jeopardize your relationship with your best friend by being rude to her sis, but on the other hand, she’s totally taking advantage of your kindness!


Maybe what you might want to do is be less available to her. When she calls or texts you, don’t answer. I know it sounds super immature and juvenile, but after a while she’ll get the picture and stop using you and probably move onto the next victim!


Hope that works for you. Let me know how it works out.




Michelle

No comments: