Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Single review- The battle!



I've wanted to write my Song of the Moment entry for some time now, but there haven’t been many songs that spoke to me. Seriously, there's a bunch of songs that are climbing the charts, but none that I considered downloadable.



So what I have decided to do was to pit two hit songs against each other to see which one comes out victorious.   




First up: Blurred lines- Robin Thicke feat - TI & Pharrell



I am a huuuggge Robin Thicke fan. I love his music, his hair and loved his recent stint on #TheRealHusbandsofHollywood.  So when one of my coworkers came into the office commenting about his new song, I was more than eager to check it out.



Hmmm, what can I say about this current number one song. It’s definitely quite sexual (have you seen the video or listened to the lyrics?). It seems like a departure for Robin Thicke as he has a tendency to release slow jams and soulful ballads.  On Blurred Lines he sings the entire song in a come hither breathy falsetto while Pharrell makes random noises and TI raps.



This track is undeniably less romantic than the average Robin Thicke single but its dance-y beat makes you want to go clubbing (or do other things…!) rather than analyze the sex-laced lyrics.   



Bottom line, I love that artists need to show different sides, but for me the sex crazed lothario act doesn’t work for him.  I listened to it a number of times to be completely objective, but I still feel the same way.  I don't hate this song, but it’s not on my download list.






The competitor- Get Lucky- Daft Punk feat Pharrell



Remember Daft Punk from back in the day? Well they have a new song - Get Lucky- featuring Pharrell Williams which is currently sitting at number 3 on the Billboard charts.



On this track, Pharrell takes lead on the vocals and serves up a mash up of 70s disco and funk, house, and contemporary electronic pop music.



Pharrell's sweet and honest vocals make this song. Unlike his contribution on Blurred Lines, he seems sexy and playful rather than sleazy, even though he is also singing about getting some.



Towards the end of the song, we get a taste of the classic electronica Daft Punk sound which I love so much.



My fave thing about this song is that the throwback vibe gets me dancing, but it’s also chill enough that I can just kick back and listen to the song.  

So the verdict?


To me, Blurred lines is more for 20 somethings getting their mack on in the club, and Get Lucky is more for the grown and sexy crowd. Get Lucky wins this battle round. What song do you like best?

Michelle

No comments: