Sunday, February 12, 2012

Rest in Peace, Whitney

I know that when a celeb dies, the first thing you see is an outpouring of love via tweets, Facebook and other modes of social media.  It might seem a little disingenuous, but for some, like myself, who want to express our shock and sadness, it is a very appropriate place to convey our thoughts.

I was completely sad to hear about the untimely passing of Whitney Houston. Just like Michael Jackson, she reminds me of my youth.  Songs like “Saving All My Love”, “How Will I Know”, I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)” transport me back to a simpler time.    

She was the singer of my generation.  She was one of the few female performers that were able to cross over various genres- R&B, pop, Adult Contemporary—she was music.  Think about it, everyone of every age group knows, “I Will Always Love You”.  That song will transcend time.

Before there was Mary J. Blige, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Mariah Carey, there was Whitney. She unwittingly paved the illustrious way for other female performers and gave them an idea of what a real performer is.

Although Whitney was on top of the world, she, like most, had her own battles to face. Unfortunately, she had to face them in front of the world. 

I did not know Whitney personally, but I am definitely affected by her loss.  She was a legend, an icon and human.

Rest In Peace, Whitney.

Michelle

No comments: