Sunday, January 15, 2012

Ask Michelle

Dear Michelle,
One of my New Year’s resolutions was to eat healthy and lose weight.  I’m proud to say that I am starting to exercise and I am slowly but surely learning how to eat better.  I’m not obsessing over losing tons of weight, but I could stand to lose a couple (okay 20) pounds.

I’m trying to eat healthy by cutting out fast food.  I might have it once in a while, but for now I want to be healthy.  My problem is that when I hang out with my friends, they only want to eat fast food. We don’t make a lot of money, so eating on the cheap is usually food that’s bad for us (e.g. fries, fried chicken, and cheesy pizzas). 

How do I tell my friends that I want to hang out with them, but I don’t want to eat junk food all the time?  How can I do that without offending my friends?
Signed, No More Grease!

Dear No More Grease,
That’s commendable of you that you want to live a healthier lifestyle. I’m sure that you can do it as long as you stay focused.

Your friends on the other hand, might stand in your way of achieving your goal.  I’m not saying that you have to ditch them and find some healthy friends (that might help or at least hang out with like minded people), but you have to tell them that you’re watching what you eat and that you don’t to be tempted by unhealthy choices.

I know it’s kinda scary confronting your friends, but it might help you in the long round.  The next time your friends ask if you want to grab a quick bite, just say to them, “I would love to, but I’ve given up fast food for a bit; would you mind going for something light?”  Okay, I realize that they might mock you for that, but you need to inform them of your path to healthier living.  Either that or you might need to limit your time you hang out with your friends.

Hope that helps!

If you would like Michelle to help you with any of your work, relationship or friend issue,  e-mail her at michelle at happygrrls.com

Michelle

No comments: