Saturday, February 20, 2010

Happygrrls meet DivaGirl Fitness...again!


I interviewed Laura Furtado of DivaGirl Fitness almost 6 whole months ago. After listening to her speak passionately about her love of dance and fitness, I promised her (and myself) that I would sign up for one of her classes. She didn’t have to persuade me too much because taking a dance class was something that I always wanted to do. It’s fun and it’s exercise, what’s better than that?



Although I promised her 6 whole months ago that I would take one of her classes.......I didn’t.


But as luck would have it, my employer provided all employees with a chance to sign up for a free 2 hour dance class as a part of staff appreciation. And guess who the instructor was...................?? Laura Furtado! I didn’t even have to think about it; I signed up for the session and eagerly awaited the class.


I was a little nervous when I walked into the gym. I don’t work out regularly (okay, I don’t work out period!), and I was a nervous about looking silly. But once I heard the heavy hip hop grooves and saw Laura’s bubbly face, all my anxiety left me.


Just to let you know, the class was freakin’ amazing! I had more fun than I imagined. We started off with some hip hop dance moves followed by some spicy Bhangra moves.


I was loving the hip hop moves. I was pretending that I was one of those hardcore hip hop dancers in You Got Served, Step Up, Stomp the Yard, or any other cheesy dance movie getting their battle on.


I had tons of fun while I worked out. I kept wondering why I never signed up for the classes before. I’m such a punk!


The last hour was spent on Bhangra/Bollywood style of dance. The intricate moves in this style of dance provided an insanely effective workout. It was fun, but I also felt that I was working out places that need to be worked out! Just like with the hip hop moves, during the Bhangra session, I envisioned myself in an elaborate Bollywood movie and it was the huge dance number. Yes, my imagination is way too active sometimes! : )


After enjoying the 2 hour session I went up to Laura and thanked her for the class and promised...again that I will take one of her classes. Something tells me that I won’t break that promise.

-Michelle

No comments: