Sunday, July 4, 2010

Were Chris Brown’s tears for real?



It’s been a week since the BET awards aired, and I finally have the chance to sit down and discuss my take on Chris Brown’s breakdown at the award show.



I wasn’t going to comment on it, but I felt that with the proliferation of opinions online, I wanted to at least put my 2 cents in.


First of all, I was a Chris Brown fan before I found out about what happened between Rihanna and him. I loved his music (No Air, Jordin Sparks f/ Chris Brown is my personal fave!), but I stopped playing his songs after the incident. It just felt weird hearing him croon about love and crushes after I found out that he was capable of committing such a horrific act.


I did feel kinda bad for him after he apologized and carried out the community service and he still was not getting any airplay. Although I hate him for what he did, at least he is young enough to learn from the experience and make changes in his life.


On June 27th, 2010 Chris Brown performed a tribute to his idol, Michael Jackson. He finally got to celebrate and honour the man whom he loved. Honestly, it was a great performance. He really captured the essence of Michael through dance.


After the iconic dance moves, he started to sing Michael’s “Man in the Mirror.” His voice was cracking and tears were flowing off his chin. It was evident that he was overcome with emotion.


Some say that he was faking, and that it was a calculated move to win back his fans. I thought that too for a quick second, and then I realized that his emotion was quite real.


I feel that it wasn’t solely paying homage to Michael Jackson that got him choked up, but it was also being in front of his peers and reflecting on the lyrics (I'm Starting With The Man In The Mirror, I'm Asking Him To Change His Ways, And No Message Could Have Been Any Clearer, If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place (If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place),Take A Look At Yourself, And Then Make A Change). The lyrics definitely reflected his life.


To me, I felt that he was thinking about his situation and what has transpired over the year and a half and he became overcome with emotion.


He made a mistake, a HUGE mistake, and he can’t run from it, but I believe that he is ready to start over—not just his career, but his life. Good luck, Chris.

Michelle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i agree with you. nice article