Monday, October 22, 2012

Song of the Moment – Thinking Bout You, Frank Ocean





I adore gut wrenching emotional music (who doesn’t, right?).  I love it when you can actually feel the pain, the passion and the intensity of emotion in an artist’s voice.  It shakes me to my core.

I’ve heard a lot about Frank Ocean all year long.  I heard his music played on my fave web series - Awkward Black Girl, and I read about his music on blogs and magazines.  He was touted as being one of the best new artist and singlehandedly changing up the hip hop game. 

Unfortunately it wasn’t always about his musical talent that got him noticed.  This summer he rose to notoriety when he came out via his tmblr account and shared that his first love was with a man.  In the ultra macho world of hip hop, this was a HUGE announcement. He subsequently became noted as the first openly gay/bisexual hip hop artist.  As his announcement hit the airwaves he received a lot of love and support from fans and celebrities.  Big up to you, Frank!

Even though I was fully aware of the accolades that he was receiving, I wanted to make up my own mind about him and appreciate his music my own terms (yes, I am stubborn!). It was his performance on the 2012 MTV Video Awards that made me in awe of him.

As he sat on stage and delivered his stripped down, vulnerable performance of Thinking Bout You, I sat in amazement.  He finally got me.  He was able to add humility and vulnerability to a genre that is normally full of bravado and machismo.  Damn, it was genius.  

Soooo, because of my adoration for him musically and creatively, I am now obsessed with all his music.  I love Novacane and Pyramids, but my go-to Frank Ocean song is “Thinking Bout You.” 

Anyone who has been in love can relate to this song.  Anyone who has had their heart broken can relate to this song.  It’s not even the lyrics that affect me; it’s how he sings it.  Soo much emotion.

There is nothing else I need to say. I heart this song!  Check it out here.



Michelle
 

No comments: